Monday 5 March 2012

Happy Hunger Games

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour"


For those of you who have read these books, or seen the trailer for the new movie, then I am sure you already know what this post is about to be about. That's correct. The Hunger Games.


The trilogy, by author Suzanne Collins, has become a world wide sensation comparable by popularity to the Twilight Saga and the legendary Harry Potter series.




A little background info about the books:
Set in the fictitious country of Panem in a post-apocalyptic world, the Capitol controls the other 12 districts that make up what used to be North America. Every year, two teenagers between the ages of 12 and 18 are chosen from each district to compete the Hunger Games. A televised event plays throughout the country where all 24 players compete to the death until there is only one winner. The heroine of the novels, Katniss Everdeen, lives in the poorest district and volunteers to take her sisters place to compete in the 74th annual games.


The novels have caused a huge frenzy among tweens and adults alike. The first novel entitled "The Hunger Games" has been made into a film adaptation that is being released on March 23.
For all things Hunger Games related, the website Mockingjay.net is the perfect source. With cast interviews, movie posters, quotes and more, this is a great website for fans to scour as the countdown begins. 


In the novels, all of the citizens of the Capitol have the most fantastic and bizarre fashion senses that have come to life in the movie. The radical outfits described have become inspiration for designers who are creating their own Hunger Games-esque styles.


Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
The Tumblr website Capitol Couture (launched by Lionsgate marketing) is for the fashionista who is looking for inspiration or wanting to view the creative outfits designers have come up with, like these Rodarte shoes.





The hair company Joico and stylist Cherry Petenbrink have created over 500 different colourful hairstyles for the characters to wear in the movie.












These books have caused quite a stir among (easy read) teen novel lovers, let's hope the movie is just as exciting!

8 comments:

  1. China Glaze is coming out with a nail polish line for the movies! I am really excited to pick one up! The books are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the books, but I am interested in seeing the movie. Hopefully I'll be able to follow it even if I'm not familiar with the plot or the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could NOT put down these books and am absolutely counting down the days until the movie comes out! Thanks for adding to the excitement :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought these books were fantastic. I read them in a matter of a week after hearing about the movie coming out and the hype surrounding them. I like how you managed to tie products and the novels into your post about the movie. You should include a link to the trailers or have it embedded through youtube. Really jack people up. Keep up the solid work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books and movies about dystopia's and historical fiction. Nice find, I will have to check this out.. Maybe after the movie comes out this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been putting off reading these books, but now that the movie looks so good, I have to read it before I see it!

    I agree with Ian; the dystopia-theme is one of my favorite genres as well, and for some reason this book (based on what I've seen in the trailer)reminds me of The Handmaids Tale.

    Can't wait! I'm buying the first book on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After watching the trailer for this movie I realize I need to read these books. Also love the link to the Capitol Couture. Great fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read these books (lack of time..) but I am SO excited for these movies! I also love how you tied the fashion stuff into this post :)

    ReplyDelete