Sunday 18 March 2012

TED: Ideas worth spreading

Whenever I need some inspiration, or want to learn something new, I turn to TED talks. TED is a nonprofit that is devoted to new ideas than began in 1984. It stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design. Twice a year, TED Conferences take place in Palm Springs and now annually in Edinburgh, Scotland. The conference in Palm Springs takes place over four days where 50 speakers use 18 minute time slots to lecture. TED Global is the summer conference which is more international with a wider array of speakers. 
TED talks is where the best talks and performances are available online, for free. Millions of people now have on-demand access to some of the world's most inspiring individuals. 
Tune in to TED if you want to watch short lectures from people such as Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Bill Clinton and Malcolm Gladwell. Just to name a few.


The website has over 1100 talks that are sorted into different categories. People can choose if they want to watching something persuasive, inspiring, courageous or funny. Some of the greatest minds on earth have come together to give 20 plus minute speeches that will inspire you, and possibly make you see the world in a different light. 


Visit the website here!


One video that I was first shown in University has now become my go to when I am in need of a pick me up. Tony Robbins is a self help author and motivational speaker who focuses on health and energy, overcoming fears and enhancing relationships. His talk on TED is titled "Why we do what we do". 
In the video, Tony speaks about how our emotions rules the world. Emotions drive us, they can help us through situations or they can hold us back. He talks about the science of achievement, which is steps to help us reach our goals, and the art of fulfillment, about appreciation and contribution. "Resourcefulness is what gets you to your goal, NOT resources." 
Most of the talk is about what shapes us as human beings. Our emotional and physical states, as well as how we view the world. He also mentions six basic needs, certainty, uncertainty, significance, connection & love, growth and contributing beyond ourselves. As human beings we all have certain needs, but what do you value most that shapes you? One thing he stresses is contribution. To go above your every day and do something good for the world and for someone else!
After I first heard him speak, a lot of what he said left me wondering about my values and helped me put some things into perspective. I invite you all to take 20 minutes out of your day to listen to what he has to say, and to hopefully take something out of it! As my classmates and I finish up our final few weeks of school, and with all the stress getting to our heads, I hope that this video can give you a little inspiration that things WILL all be okay. That the "secret to living is giving." 
I'll leave you with Tony's final words:
"So my invitation to you is this: explore your web, the web in your head -- the needs, the beliefs, the emotions that are controlling you, for two reasons: so there's more of you to give -- and achieve too, we all want to do it -- but I mean give, because that's what's going to fill you up. And secondly, so you can appreciate -- not just understand, that's intellectual, that's the mind -- but appreciate what's driving other people. It's the only way our world's going to change."


Watch Tony's video below!





3 comments:

  1. I freaking love Ted Talks. Its one of those websites you go to out of boredum and it changes your perspective on life every time you watch a new one. I feel super smart after. Beats Youtube. Thanks Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Amanda. I spend way too much time listening to TEDs. This one http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/seth_priebatsch_the_game_layer_on_top_of_the_world.html is my personal favourite, and a kind of relevant to what were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My insane friend from university actually organized a TEDx conference for his small town of middle-of-nowhere, NS. By all accounts, it was extremely mediocre and poorly attended. Still, it's an interesting project. Maybe I'll attend one someday.

    ReplyDelete